Lumbar back pain is a very common symptom. It can occur for various reasons. For some patients who experience low back pain, home treatment becomes a priority.
There is a group of patients who are hesitant to visit a doctor and do not trust traditional methods of treatment. They are sure that folk remedies can relieve pain in the lower back.
Few people know what to do if the lower back hurts so much how to treat the problem area at home. Most people refuse to see a doctor because of expensive medical services, others prefer traditional, tried and tested methods.
Thinking about how to cure a problem area on your back without leaving home can be completely justified. Self-medication is possible provided the diagnosis is well known.
Temporary relief of acute symptoms will not solve the problem, and the long-term development of the disease will provoke a transition to a chronic form. However, without a preview, it is better not to experiment.
Lumbar pain syndrome is more common in middle-aged and elderly people, but young people are also familiar with this symptom. Against the background of excessive physical exertion, uncomfortable movement or after hypothermia, a person may begin to experience lumbago and acutely feel a pain syndrome, which in the language of doctors is usually called "lumbodia".
If you have acute low back pain and you will not be able to see a doctor soon, then it would be good to know what to do with this condition at home. Of course, if the lower back is caught, then before starting treatment at home, it would be correct to understand what probably provoked it.
Lumbar pain syndromes are divided into acute, chronic and radiative. In addition, they can be permanent or periodic, primary or secondary, so they can be treated in different ways.
Home treatment for low back pain should have 3 main goals: relieving inflammation, relieving pain and soothing. Such therapy at home does not mean that the patient will use only folk remedies. As a rule, patients combine medicine, exercise, massage and traditional medicine. All this helps to quickly and effectively treat the lower back at home.
If the patient knows for sure about his pathologies of the musculoskeletal system, then he can try the following treatment regimen:
- The use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory injections, tablets, ointments, patches, rectal suppositories.
- Injectable and tablet muscle relaxants are prescribed in parallel with NSAIDs. In back pain caused by muscle spasm, they are indispensable.
- A course of B vitamins is recommended to repair damaged tissues in the affected area of the back.
The most commonly described treatment tactics can effectively eliminate lumbar pain at home. However, if no positive dynamics is observed when using the described scheme at home, then regional anesthesia is sometimes used.
As practice shows, patients who have low back pain do not like many injections or pills, but more often try to help themselves with various ointments. However, it should be understood that some ointments that relieve pain do not solve the underlying problem, although complex therapies usually involve them.
All ointments in this direction can be divided into several groups:
- based on non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
- Combination drugs not only relieve pain, but also improve tissue regeneration, relieve inflammation and dissolve blood clots.
- Irritating, distracting and warming.
- Homeopathic ointments. They improve metabolism, have an anesthetic effect.
- Chondroprotective. The representatives of this group are distinguished by the fact that they slow down the degenerative processes and contribute to the restoration of the cartilage tissue.
The patient will be able to choose an effective ointment for treatment at home only when he is accurately diagnosed.
Once the acute pain has been relieved, it would be good to do special exercises to treat different parts of the back. But an experienced physiotherapist should choose therapeutic exercises for back pain.
Home conditions allow therapeutic gymnastics, but the patient must perform it very delicately. There should be no significant discomfort or soreness during exercise. If an exercise provokes the appearance of pain, then you need to reconsider the elements of its implementation or abandon it altogether.
For back pain, massage is indicated only during remission. In addition, it is important to choose the right duration, intensity and frequency of massage effects. In pathologies of the musculoskeletal system, doctors recommend to give preference to vacuum massage with cups, relaxing or shiatsu finger massage.
And if the patient is interested in how to relieve sharp pain in the lower back alone at home, then masseurs can teach him how to perform acupressure. In addition, applicators, various rollers or belts are very suitable for pathologies of the back.
Traditional low back pain treatments are very popular with patients because they are simple and the ingredients for their recipes are readily available. Even if it is not possible to completely cure the back only with folk remedies, they can significantly improve the patient's condition. The attending physician, as a rule, willingly goes to see the patient, combining traditional therapy with non-traditional one.
The first thing that comes to a patient's mind when thinking about how to treat his back at home is rubbing. Thanks to this manipulation, the healing process is accelerated, as good friction increases blood circulation to the tissues.
- rubbing vodka with honey and radish juice (1: 2: 3). The finished product is stored in the refrigerator. Use well-sealed porcelain or glassware.
- Rubbing from the root of Adam with vodka. To 500 ml of vodka add 200 grams of grated Adam's root, mix well and then insist for 5 days. A dark dish is suitable for this.
- Multi-component rubbing on cologne "Triple". To prepare it you will need: 2 bottles of valerian tincture, 5 peas of red pepper, 2 bottles of 3% iodine and a bottle of cologne. All components are mixed, shaken well and then insisted for one day.
Such a procedure effectively relieves pain in the spine, if after applying rubbing on the problem area wrap this area with a woolen scarf overnight.
Many patients were able to quickly heal their backs at home with the help of compresses.
Some patients have approved the following:
- compress of grated horseradish or radish. Vegetable raw materials will not cause burning if mixed with sour cream. The resulting mixture is applied in a thick layer on the problem area and covered with a napkin.
- Mustard powder compress. Dilute the dry mustard with warm water so as to obtain the consistency of low-fat sour cream. The affected area is smeared with mustard and isolated. But the procedure lasts no more than 5 minutes to avoid burns.
- Test compress. The sourdough is applied on the affected back on a thick layer of gauze and leave such a compress overnight. The procedure is repeated for 10 consecutive days.
The compress, as a folk remedy for back and lower back pain, should not cause severe discomfort to the patient. Only mild fever or mild tingling is acceptable.
Tinctures, tinctures and decoctions
In acute back pain, patients practice oral administration of infusions, tinctures and decoctions.
The following have proven themselves well:
- complex infusion. To 100 grams of yeast add 3 tablespoons chopped elecampane root and 1 tablespoon honey. Pour a mixture of boiled water, leaving 5 cm to the top (use a three-liter jar). Punctured rubber gloves are placed around the neck and the agent is allowed to wander for 1 month. Take 100 ml in the morning and evening.
- Tincture of cinquefoil. It is prepared from crushed root and 0, 5 liters of vodka. Insist the drug in a cool, dark place for 4 weeks. Take 3 times 1 tsp. This tincture can effectively get rid of back pain at home.
- Decoction of basil. Take 200 ml of water to boil 10 basil leaves. When about 100 ml of liquid remain, remove the product from the hob, cool and add a pinch of salt. Take 1-2 times a day.
In general, all home oral medications are best taken 30 minutes before or 1 hour after a meal.
In order not to have to think about how to quickly relieve acute back pain at home, it is important to adhere to the following recommendations:
- perform a preventive set of stretching exercises.
- Protect your spine while sitting and doing (direction - ears, shoulders, hips and knees should be in line).
- Place a pillow between your knees when sleeping on one side and under your knees when sleeping on your back.
- You should not wear shoes with high heels or flat soles, it is better to choose the "golden" environment.
- Keep track of your weight. To do this, you need to eat right and lead an active lifestyle.
- Give up bad habits (smoking, alcohol abuse). Tobacco smoking contributes to the development of osteoporosis and increases sensitivity to pain.
- Nutrition should be balanced. Adequate amounts of Ca, P, vitamin D should be consumed.
- Try to maintain a stable emotional state, avoid stressful situations.
The pain syndrome can significantly affect the quality of life and reduce the patient's ability to work. But it is quite possible to deal with this problem without leaving home, if you use an integrated approach and be sure to consult with specialists.